Thursday, May 9, 2013

Book Review: Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas



It took me a few months to actually read this book. I am by no means a slow reader but it's very large and I have a full time job and a life on the side that requires my attention (say what?!). To sum this book up for those who have not seen the movie (which by the way varies enormously): 

Edmond Dantes is accused of a crime that he did not commit and sentenced to life in imprisonment.  After years of not seeing or speaking to anyone other than the jailer he finds himself face to face with another inmate who tunnelled his way by accident into Edmond's cell while trying to escape. With a friend who can now educate him Edmond finds a new leash on life by plotting revenge on those who imprisoned him and separated him forever from the love of his life. After his escape from prison he puts his plan of revenge into motion, destroying all the lives of everyone that ever hurt him.

Overall this book great. The twists and turns keep you on your toes. The character betrayal is real and believable. Although I had to print off a cheat sheet of all the characters to reference from time to time ( highly recommend to do this if you do read it) I found that this classic was definitely worth the read, in fact this novel is one of the few that I will probably read again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment